Department: Sheriff’s Office Job Title: Patrol Deputy
Classification: Non-Exempt/Union Office Hours: Rotating Shifts
Starting Salary: $26.73 (see Salary and Benefits Total Hours: Full-time 43 hours
The Patrol Deputy is primarily responsible for enforcing the laws of the State of Maine (Title 17-A - Maine Criminal Statutes and Title 29-A - Maine Motor Vehicle Statutes), answering calls for service, and conducting criminal investigations within Somerset County. This position is primarily responsible for providing law enforcement services in the Unorganized Territories (UT).
The ideal candidate will reside within the unorganized territories or the Jackman area.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enforces federal and state laws, court orders, and warrants.
- Patrols assigned areas to detect and prevent crime; answers call for service and assistance; makes arrests.
- Investigates criminal complaints and accidents; conducts crime and accident scene analysis.
- Collects and maintains evidence; ensures proper chain of custody.
- Interviews witnesses and complainants; investigates suspects.
- Prepares timely and accurate reports, reviews investigative, arrest, accident, and supplemental reports for accuracy.
- Enforces motor vehicle laws by stopping violators and taking appropriate enforcement action.
- Assists investigators and personnel from the District Attorney’s office in the preparation of cases for trial; testifies in court.
- Writes and executes search warrants; serves warrants, court orders, and subpoenas.
- Directs traffic as needed.
- Maintains assigned vehicle, firearms, and other equipment.
This description is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities associated with this position. While this is intended to be a reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to revise these responsibilities or require other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, technological development, etc.)
Education and Training: Minimum High School Diploma or G.E.D., Bachelors or Associates degree in criminal justice or related discipline preferred.
- Physically capable of performing functions/activities of a Patrol Deputy.
- Willing to work flexible schedule.
- Meets standards set by Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
- Completion of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the MCJA including Polygraph, Psychological Exam, and P.A.T.
- No extensive or serious traffic violations record.
- Preference will be given to applicants that are Full Time Certified
Applicants Must Successfully Complete:
Pre-screen interview, oral interview(s), background investigation, physical agility test(s), medical screening, psychological screening(s), polygraph examination, and firearms qualification.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive wages with experience and education consideration, full benefit package including health insurance, County-issued police vehicle, and retirement options.
Working Conditions and Job Hazards:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hand to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply visit our website http://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.