Somerset County Government strongly encourages all employees and prospective employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
The Somerset County Sheriff's Office prohibits the use of all illicit substances as prescribed by Federal Law, including marijuana and its derivatives.
Job Title: Reserve Corrections Officer
Office Hours: Vary
Starting Salary: $16.00/hr.
Total Hours: Part-Time
This is a line staff level position, responsible to the Assistant Shift Commander of the Somerset County Jail. The correctional officer ensures a high-quality direct supervision corrections facility by providing for the care, custody, and control of inmates.
The correctional officer supervises inmates to ensure a safe and humane environment; handles inmate discipline fairly and effectively; responds to inmate requests in a fair and balanced fashion; builds positive rapport and personal credibility with inmates; supervises inmates in a clear, well-organized and attention getting manner; resolves inmate problems and conflicts; and maintains effective administration and staff relations.
1. Be committed to the missions of the Somerset County Jail and
Somerset County Sheriff’s Office.
2. Be committed to the principles of direct supervision in all aspects of
3. Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties.
4. Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
5. Work in harmonious relationship with staff and community.
6. Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
7. Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum
8. Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
9. Possess a valid Driver’s license.
10. Understand and work within Somerset County and the Somerset
County Jail’s Polices and Procedures.
11. Assure quality in work performed in order to facilitate the delivery of
12. Accept shared responsibility with other team members to successfully
accomplish goals of each team of which s/he is a member.
13. Maintain confidence and protect Somerset County by keeping
information concerning inmates, clients and operations confidential.
14. Take direction in a professional manner from the correctional
supervisors and administrative staff.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
1. Ensures a safe and secure facility by complying with policies,
procedures, post orders, and training and by employing principles of
2. Employs time management techniques to effectively prioritize
3. Ensures inmate’s court appearances by organizing, preparing inmates
to be transported.
4. Meets cleanliness and hygiene expectations by supervising the
cleaning, disinfecting of inmate quarters and providing necessary linen
5. Takes emergency action when necessary, by established emergency
procedures and protocols.
6. Maximizes compliant inmate behavior and minimizes the occurrence
of disruptive inmate behavior in the living unit by proactively
supervising and clear communicating of the rules and expectations to
7. Responds to all incidents of inmate behavior immediately.
8. Responds fairly and effectively and within established parameters to
inmates when disciplining them for disruptive behavior or rule
9. Ensures inmates follow required behavior standards by supervising
recreation, visiting, dining, education, work programs, treatment, social
services, and other activities.
10. Meets all legal requirements by maintaining accurate logs on all
significant activity in the housing unit.
11. Ensures the safety of staff and inmates by performing searches of
inmates, rooms, and the entire facility to prevent use of prohibited
materials and seizes any contraband.
12. Responds to inmate requests in a fair and balanced manner and avoids
13. Creates an environment of mutual respect between the inmate and
officer by demonstrating fairness, consistency, and responding in a
14. Demonstrates effective skill in organizing, supervising, and motivating
inmates in their activities.
15. Provides guidance and leadership in the resolution of inmate problems
by recognizing the steps involved in conflict resolution and dealing
with confrontational situation.
16. Provides for inmate’s needs by organizing, sorting, transporting,
delivering, and collecting mail.
17. Assists staff by working in specialized skill areas as trained and
18. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending pre-
service and in-service training as required. .
19. Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related results as
needed by having knowledge of and consistently applying facility rules
and procedures, coordinates activities with co-workers, supports the
authority of staff members and regularly and effectively communicates
with supervisors and other administrators.
20. Supports the Authority’s safety and health policies by attending
required safety training programs, reporting all accidents and
suspected safety hazards.
21. Participates as an active member in training, on task forces and
performing other related duties as required by the Correctional
22. Performs any and all other related duties as assigned.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these physical standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to bend, lift, push, pull, use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, use a computer and touch screen devices, telephone, radio and protective devices.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job require close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to operate a motor vehicle or other vehicle or equipment. Employee will frequently come in contact with inmates and must possess sufficient physical dexterity to employ necessary and lawful non-deadly physical force to address inmate resistance.
If authorized to use a firearm, must receive training and qualify in its use annually.
If authorized to use chemical agents, must receive training in their use and handling as required.
If authorized to use electronic equipment, must receive training in their use and handling as required.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Sometimes it may be loud due to problems with inmates.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR THE POSITION:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Two (2) years post secondary education desirable.
Successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy Basic Corrections Training Program or completion within the first year of employment.
Understanding of direct supervision jail principles.
Ability to effectively manage inmates.
Ability to work with supervisory and other staff in a collaborative and effective manner.
Commitment to running a safe and secure jail.
Ability to remain composed in emergency situations.
Commitment to accreditation and standards compliance.
Certified in CPR or able to obtain certification.
Capable of physically controlling violent, unruly members of the inmate population using methods established pursuant to policies, procedures, and training.
Two (2) years post-secondary education or employment.
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISES:
Assistant Shift Commander None
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please visit Somerset County website at https://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html to complete an online application.
Resumes will not be considred unless accompanied by a completed job application.
Somerset County Reserve Corrections Officer - Applications Open-Ended
- Category: Jobs
- Hits: 2980