This is maintenance and personal services work in directing and overseeing food service operations at the Somerset County Jail. Responsibilities include securing the kitchen and all kitchen equipment, overseeing cooking and kitchen operations, supervising inmates, keeping administrative records, and requisitioning supplies. Work is performed under supervision of the Food Service Manager.
1. Be committed to the mission of the Somerset County Jail and Somerset County Sheriffs Department.
2. Be committed to the principles of direct supervision in all aspects of the work.
3. Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
4. Work in a harmonious, collaborative manner with staff and community.
5. Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
6. Assure quality in work performed, performing required amount of work in a timely fashion and with a minimum of errors.
7. Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
8. Possess a valid Driver’s license.
9. To understand and work within SCJ’s Policies and Procedures.
10. To give direction and provide leadership in a clear, well-organized, and attention getting manner.
11. To resolve conflicts amongst and/or between employees and inmates in a calm and fair manner.
12. Maintain confidence and protect Somerset County and the Somerset County Jail by keeping information concerning employees, inmates, clients, and operations confidential in accordance with applicable SCJ policy and State statute.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
1. Coordinates, oversees, appraises and directs work activities of inmate work crews to ensure meals are prepared in a timely and effective manner and kitchen security is maintained.
2. Trains and instructs inmates in their duties and coordinates cooking activities in order to ensure meals are properly prepared and ready to serve at scheduled times.
3. Directs cooking activities such as cooking and carving meats and bakery operations in order to ensure coordinated food preparation and maximize cost and operational efficiency.
4. Allocates required amount of prepared food for housing units, infirmary, intake and video arraignment areas in order to ensure inmates are provided proper nutrition.
5. Oversees and inspects cleaning of kitchen and equipment in order to ensure established sanitary standards are met.
6. Oversees filling of special menus such as diabetic, low calorie, and low fat in order to meet special dietary needs of inmates.
7. Oversees monitoring and control of inmates in order to maintain discipline and security.
8. Secures and controls kitchen knives, security keys, food, and other equipment in order to prevent pilferage and maintain security.
9. May be required to perform searches of inmates and areas in the kitchen to ensure contraband is not brought into the kitchen and food, knives and other equipment do not leave the kitchen.
10. Prepares reports on inmate conduct, work performance, and kitchen requirements in order to evaluate and document inmate actions and work habits and inform superiors.
11. Maintain confidence and protect Somerset County and the Somerset County Jail by keeping information concerning employees, inmates, clients, and operations confidential in accordance with applicable SCJ policy and State statute.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to sit, bend, lift, use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, use a computer, touch screen, printer, and copier,.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job require close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to operate a motor vehicle or other vehicle or equipment. Employee will regularly come in contact with inmates and must possess sufficient physical dexterity to employ necessary and lawful non-deadly physical force to address inmate resistance.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Sometimes it may be loud due to equipment or problems with inmates.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR THE POSITION:
§ Knowledge of materials, methods, utensils and equipment used in food preparation.
§ Knowledge of kitchen safety and sanitation requirements.
§ Knowledge of food values and nutrition.
§ Knowledge of kitchen supply needs and requisition process.
§ Ability to cook, bake and serve meals.
§ Ability to clean kitchen area and utensils.
§ Ability to stand for long periods of time under conditions in high temperature.
§ Ability to plan, direct, oversee and coordinate the work of inmate workers.
§ Ability to handle confrontations with inmates.
§ Ability to recognize security breaches
§ Ability to make decisions under stress.
§ As a Public Safety/Essential Services position, must be able to work extended and additional hours as needed.
No special coursework, training, or experience is required for entry to this classification. Education or experience in the food service industry is preferred.
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISES:
Food Service Manager Inmate Workers
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please visit Somerset County website at https://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html to complete an online application.
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.
Application deadline is 4 p.m. Thursday, January 28, 2021.